Sunday, July 27, 2008

Addition

First let me thank RG for keeping our blog going- his dedication is the fire of survival for our expressions...

This poem, which I will add to RG's new series, is one I read when very young. It's tone translated it's meaning for me- as I didn't fully comprehend its words. And my mother's emotional reaction to this poem said the rest. As I have grown into a man with a family- its meaning has found new relevance in my life...

SHOULD YOU GO FIRST

Should you go first and I remain to walk the road alone,
I'll live in memory's garden, dear, with happy days we've known.
In Spring I'll wait for roses red, when fades the lilac blue,
In early fall, when brown leaves call I'll catch a glimpse of you.

Should you go first and I remain for battles to be fought,
Each thing you've touched along the way will be a hallowed spot.
I'll hear your voice, I'll see your smile, though blindly I may grope,
The memory of your helping hand will buoy me on with hope.

Should you go first and I remain to finish with the scroll,
No lenght'ning shadows shall creep in to make this life seem droll,
We've known so much of happiness, we've had our cup of joy,
And memory is one gift of God that death cannot destroy.

Should you go first and I remain, one thing I'd have you do:
Walk slowly down that long, long path, for soon I'll follow you.
I'll want to know each step you take that I may walk the same,

For some day down that long, long road you'll hear me call your name.

-A.K. Rowswell

No comments: